photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

May 06, 2014

Review of Empower by Jessica Shirvington - A perfect ending to the series

Empower (The Embrace Series, #5)
Title: Empower (The Violet Eden Chapters, #5)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher:
 Raincoast
Publication date: May 6, 2014
Genre(s): Young Adult (Paranormal/Angels)
Source: Publisher 
Format: ARC
Pages: 496
It has been two years since Violet Eden walked away from the city, her friends, her future and - most importantly - her soulmate, Lincoln. Part angel, part human, Violet is determined to stand by the promises she made to save the one she loves.

Living in the perpetual coldness of a broken soul she survives day to day as a Rogue Grigori in London.

But when an unexpected visitor shows up at her door, the news he bears about someone she swore to protect leaves Violet with no choice.

Even worse, she fears that this might all lead back to the night she tries hardest to forget. And what was taken without her permission.

Violet is going back to New York ... and she knows exactly who is going to be there.

With Phoenix in her dreams and Lincoln in her heart she knows it is only a matter of time before the final choice must be made.
This full review is NON SPOILER for THE WHOLE SERIES 
I want to thank Raincoast publishing for introducing me to this amazing series. In all honesty I wouldn't have ever picked it up if I didn't receive Embrace for review over two years ago. I was introduced to such amazing characters.. ones I grew attached to with each new book and truly cared about their well beings. Evil characters turned good and good characters turned evil. Shirvington didn't hold back at all, and I loved it so much. You just never knew what to expect and the direction of the plot line was never guessed. Even with Empower.. the fifth and last book in this series, I honestly wasn't able to imagine how the plot line will end and what will happen to the characters. I laughed and cried with and for these characters as well as cursed at them for how stupid they were acting but at the same time hugged them (in my mind) for all the good they wanted to do and just are. The Violet Eden Chapters series is the one series that showed me that paranormal books aren't just cliche after cliche, but can have a solid plot line with crazy crap happening and take you for a thrilling ride. This is the Violet Eden Chapters series. 
Violet.. has grown SO much over the past couple of books. You can truly see how much stronger, more independent she is.. how much of a leader she could be and all the potential that she's finally started to tap into. Violet is one of the most kick butt female protagonists that have never frustrated me.. her and I seemed to be so in synch and I was always cheering her on with whatever her decisions were.. I could always understand them and I loved her. We've got Linc.. and he is one of the most perfect book boyfriends ever. He is the other half of Violet.. they both became better people when they were together and it was a mutual thing. There's also Phoenix and his story is so complicated but I have to say that by the end of this whole series.. I have come to understand him.. I can't say anything extra without giving away any spoilers. We also have the secondary characters that I would have loved to have as my best friends. Honestly Violet was blessed with such amazing friends! 
Moving into the plot.. that was one hell of a plot.. for both Empower and the whole series. Like I mentioned above, Shirvington knew how to take such an overused idea, angels, exiles, etc, and turn it into something unique and thrilling and memorable. This is when you know if an author is talented or not and Shirvington is one hell of a talented writer! Writing a 5 book series (where the last four books are 450+ pages) without making the readers feel like there are fillers or an overextended plot is a skill. So many people have been complaining about a currently beloved famous series being too long but I can say with confidence that I never felt that way with this series. Every single book, chapter, and page had its purpose.. every scene too. Honestly I would have been totally happy if there was a 6th book! maybe a spin off? *waves at Jessica Shirvington* Basically, all I can say is to PLEASE pick up this series.. give the first AND second book a try because the second book, Entice, is when I truly started loving this series. It is hard saying bye to these characters which is why I put off writing this review.. because that's the final goodbye.. so.. I guess this is it. I will be tuning into any new releases by Shirvington because.. well you should know by now why :) 

        Reviews by Juhina for the first four books in the series:


        Endless (The Violet Eden Chapters, #4) 

4 comments:

  1. Amazing review Juhina. <3 I'm so glad you loved this book and this series. That is always a good feeling :D (I will never read the books, though, cause of stupid love triangle thingy :p Agh.) But it do make me happy that you loved them so :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I still need to start this series. Love the covers and the premise of the story. Thanks for the reinforcement to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review Juhina! I'm not that big on Angels and love triangles, but maybe I'll give this series a try someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so true that this is one of the best paranormal series out there! I don't love angel books (nor love triangles) but this is one I love despite those - and I think Jessica does a great job with both of those aspects!

    I still have to get caught up on this series, but I'm so glad you loved Empower! And the character development in these books is truly extraordinary.

    Thanks for sharing!

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete