photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

December 31, 2013

The Offering by Kimberly Derting - The Much Anticipated Finale

The Offering (The Pledge, #3)
Title: The Offering (The Pledge, #3)
Author: Kimberly Derting
Publisher:
 Simon & Schuster Canada
Publication date: December 31, 2013
Genre(s): Young Adult (Dystopian/Fantasy)
Source: Publisher
Format: ARC
Pages: 336
True love—and world war—is at stake in the conclusion to The Pledge trilogy, a dark and romantic blend of dystopia and fantasy.
Charlie, otherwise known as Queen Charlaina of Ludania, has become comfortable as a leader and a ruler. She’s done admirable work to restore Ludania’s broken communications systems with other Queendoms, and she’s mastered the art of ignoring Sabara, the evil former queen whose Essence is alive within Charlie. Or so she thinks.

When the negotiation of a peace agreement with the Queendom of Astonia goes awry, Charlie receives a brutal message that threatens Ludania, and it seems her only option is to sacrifice herself in exchange for Ludanian freedom.

But things aren’t always as they seem. Charlie is walking into a trap—one set by Sabara, who is determined to reclaim the Queendoms at any cost
This trilogy was a solid one. The first book, The Pledge left such a big impression on me that till now, two years after reading it, I was still able to recall some details. When I received The Offering for review, I went ahead and picked up The Essence (which I enjoyed) and then The Offering. I have to point out that The Pledge is my favorite by far. It is mainly because the world build up was so fascinating. This of course doesn't mean the other two books weren't great, because they both were. The Offering was a great way to end this trilogy. I initially had some concerns on how the book will end and how everything will be resolved and wrapped up (can you blame me? from all the last books in a dystopian trilogy I read). However all my questions and concerns were answered and all the situations and plot lines were wrapped up without ripping my heart out, always a bonus for final books in a dystopian series. 
Charlie is now the queen, not only that, Sabara is buried deep within her with no idea of how to get rid of her. I felt so bad for Charlie because all she has wanted is to make her country better, and even after all the sacrifices she still gets handed the crappiest end of any deal. I loved how Max didn't begrudge her or treat her differently, even knowing Sabara was within her. Max is such a great love interest and character, my only complaint is that he didn't show up enough times in this book! Other than him, we have some other amazing secondary characters including Eden (Charlie's younger sister's overprotective bodyguard), Zafer (Charlie's AWESOME bodyguard), Xander (Max's brother), Brook (Charlie's best friend and commander of the armed forces), along with another handful. All of them added so much to the story and I loved how effortless all their bond and ties were. Derting really is a fantastic character creator (does that even make sense?) 
As for the plot, I have to say that Charlie's need to always self sacrifice got to me. I really don't like it when a character thinks he/she is doing everyone a favor by sacrificing themselves when in reality their actions are what creates chaos. Still, Charlie was still endearing and I loved how much she loved her younger sister and her country. This book and trilogy is definitely one I would recommend to any YA fans, especially ones that want to read a unique dystopian world. 
        

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of self-sacrificing either, and that usually get on my nerves in books too, but I'm so glad to hear this installment was a great end to the trilogy overall! I've heard plenty of good things about the first book, but I haven't picked it up yet. Perhaps next year. Great review, Juhina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that this was a satisfying conclusion to a trilogy for you, Juhina! I think I'm going to be forever scared of reading the third book in a dystopian trilogy because of what some trilogies have done to my poor heart (*glares at Allegiant and Champion*). But YAY for having a satisfying conclusion that ties everything up!!

    Self-sacrificing characters can really go either way for me- if I understand them fully as a character and get their actions, then they won't irritate me (THAT much at least). But I totally understand why Charlie's need to sacrifice was annoying, because those kinds of things normally do get on my nerves, simply because those kinds of actions normally seem random. =P

    Lovely review, Juhina! It seems like I can finally pick this series up now that it's been completed. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually couldn't really connect with the characters but I'm glad that you enjoyed this series! I love the covers, they're so pretty and I'm curious about Charlie's little sister so I'll finish the series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your channel on YouTube and today I discover also your blog. And OMG it is amazing!

    I'm from Poland and i also have blog about books. When i saw your avatar on youtube, i didn't know your blog and I did similar header. Can I leave it on my site? Of course, today I link your blog in description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, yay :) I'm glad you mostly loved it. <3 Thank you for sharing your awesome review :) I have yet to get my copies, but excited to read this, as I did love the first two. But aw. Max is my favorite person.. sad that he isn't that much in this book. Sigh. Anyway. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you enjoyed, I am hoping to start it soon. Great review.

    ReplyDelete