photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

January 21, 2013

Review: The 13th Sign by Kristin O'Donnel Tubb

The 13th Sign
Title: The 13th Sign
Author: Krisin O'Donnel Tubb
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication date: January 8th, 2013
Genre(s): Middle Grade (Fantasy/Adventure)
Source: Macmillan
Format: Digital ARC
Pages: 352
What if there was a 13th zodiac sign?

You’re no longer Sagittarius, but Ophiuchus, the healer, the 13th sign.

Your personality has changed. So has your mom’s and your best friend’s.

What about the rest of the world?

What if you were the one who accidentally unlocked the 13th sign, causing this world-altering change—and infuriating the other 12 signs?

Jalen did it, and now she must use every ounce of her strength and cunning to send the signs back where they belong. Lives, including her own, depend on it.
I started reading The 13th Sign thinking it is a young adult novel, however soon enough I found out it was a middle grade novel. I don't read much Middle Grade novels but I continued reading The 13th Sign because the synopsis sounding interesting, plus I am a sagittarius, just like the protagonist. Jalen somehow unlocks the 13th sign, Ophiuchus, and as a consequence, the personalities of everyone in the world shift depending on their new star sign. Logical, fair judges turn into emotional ones, diplomatic and rational presidents turn into hotheads and declare war; basically the whole world is crumbling and the only way it could be saved is if Jalen defeats all 12 signs and meets with Ophiuchus within 24 hours. 
Thus, Jalen, along with her best friend and her best friend's brother, embark on this journey. The whole book passes by with Jalen fighting each zodiac and defeating him or her using her judgement of the star sign itself with the help of the Zodiac book she unlocked. In all honesty I found it a bit repetitive, different zodiac sign but same fight, and same result in the end, her winning. I know that is how it is supposed to go but I felt that is too simplistic, which is why I tend to not read Middle Grade books often. I didn't get much depth from the characters and I just hoped there was a bit more complexity in the end solution and some sort of shocking ending. 
I do understand that this is a middle grade book and I would only recommend it to middle grade readers, because while I did enjoy this book, it isn't one I would recommend to strict YA readers. If Tubb ever writes a YA novel, I would definitely be interested in reading it because she is a great author. 

9 comments:

  1. I honestly don't read middle grade books either, and despite me finding it some what interesting (really like the cover too), I don't think I'll jump to read it, but I will keep an open mind and if I happen to see it I'll definitely pick it up. I'm glad you still found some enjoyment from this, despite your concerns though!

    Fabulous review, Juhina! :D

    ~ Maida @ Literary Love Affair 

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for so long because of the plot. It's so interesting! Thank you for the honest review, Juhina! I love MG books so I think I'll still read this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I had no idea that this was middle grade book. I was so looking forward to it. Ah well we'll see. i'm not big fan of middle grade books either but I might try it. Sounds really interesting. Great review Juhina :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds interesting. I like MG books so I think I would enjoy this one. I just have to be in the right mood to read MG. The repetitiveness might get to me though. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds interesting enough. Didn't know it was a middle grade book though. I'll have to keep that in mind. Great review.


    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, not sure if this book would be for me. I like the mystery in it, but still. Thank you for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The concept seems simplistic but I think I'd be curious to find out how the personalities are changed after the 13th sign is introduced. I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you, Juhina!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually didn't know this was MG! Totally won't stop me from reading it, though! I'm not that strict into YA. Great review! Can't wait to see your review of Vampire Academy, it's one of my favorites! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not huge on MG books, so I doubt this will be for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed this book well enough. Great review, Juhina!

    ReplyDelete